Sponsors

/* hide navigation bar */
Sunday, October 24, 2010

Bicycling 39.88 kilometers in 4 hours with GEN. SANTOS-MATUTUM OFF-ROAD BIKERS ASSOCIATION, INC. (GS-MORBA).

Reaching the top of Alabel, Brgy. Spring Sarangani Province.
Where to begin? Well, i guess it all started when my friend Arze invested for a new bike - not just an ordinary bike that kids do play around, but it was a mountain bike made to handle even a steep trails and high rocky places. He got advised from Sir Dong (GS-MORBA member/mechanic) and other GS-MORBA member to what kind of bike he should buy and being obedient as he is, he immediately bought one.

My friends bike with S'Dong fixing the saddle.
I was there with the group when they started assembling their gears and stuffs and was mesmerized by the whole process. As the conversation took longer  Sir Dong came up with the idea of inviting us as visitors to join their escapade on Sunday. I didn't think I would have given a chance of joining ‘coz I don’t have a mountain bike to use!

Preparing one-self to go Downhill.
The snapshot above was quite fun. I was able to find ways to get my own bike and of course with the help of Sir Dong. One of the members lend me one and without thinking twice, I readily took the offer! Glad that Ma’am Weng (GS-MORBA member) let me borrow her extra bike for the Event. I wouldn't want to miss it for all.

Bicycle that I borrowed, Owned by M'Weng (GS MORBA member)
Take a rest after an extra-
ordinary uphill cruise
The day started by going to Ms. Wendy's house to get the bike and the helmet (I'll surely buy one next tme). Good thing she is selling jersey's and some clothing perfect for this sport. I wasn't dressed well, when I got there! So first-timer as I was. Laughs.
I geared myself with the necessary equipments and excitedly went off to Jolibee Highway General Santos City where the meeting took place. It was my pleasure to meet the other members of GS-MORBA and their president ,Sir Rene Noel Santos there.

The race was entitled as “The 1st Munato Cross Country Mountain Bike Race 2010” which was  held in Alabel Sarangani Province for MUNATO festival held November 27. The members were divided into small groups and each group has a Marshall who took the lead to keep an eye to everyone. We started touring around place then biycling to route.
After a successful climbing uphill.
Take a rest while waiting for others.
They may call it a tour but I never thought it could be difficult. They suggested to put-on shoes with rough spikes. It sticks and keeps you from slipping your foot  as you foot-pedal. In some cases, this may cause serious accidents. Bicycling uphill and downhill is not a joke!  If you are not being careful, prone accident may happen in such state. 

Here are some helpful tips!

Climbing Uphill:
  • Watch out not to choose a gear that is too high! And also consider that, in most cases, you have only one chain-ring for the whole climb. This is because changing the front gear during climbing at slow cadences does not work. It is far better to change gear at the rear whilst climbing.
  • When climbing a hill, develop a strong spin when you approach the hill/mountain to keep the momentum going.
  • Remember to breath. Prevent getting a stitch by pushing the air out.
  • As a last resort, if the climb is too steep, there is no shame in walking. It would probably be safer. You got to admit, some hills are just too steep to stay on the bike.
Descending Downhill:
  • Wear a helmet.
  • If you are on top of the hill or the mountain and you are ready (you've checked that the brakes work!! Also shift the chain onto the big chain ring to stop the chain slapping around and perhaps falling off.)
  • Control your speed during a descent. Remember, too much weight at the front may send you flying over the handlebars, on the other hand, too much weight at the rear may send the front end just rising and you just land on your back with the bike on top of you.
Tired and exhausted, yet has an effort to take a post.
The escapade ended-up at M’Weng’s house. We celebrated and shared a little social gathering, so many experiences about bicycling to tell and their stories are as memorable and fun as mine. I'm so proud we gained 39.88 kilometers in 4 hours driving in the mountain bike.
Route map.
Moreover, they invited us to join bicycling next Sunday. Hopefully, I’ll own a bike soon  so I can join again.

Group picture captured with GS-MORBAs members. take 1.
Group picture captured with GS-MORBAs members. take 2.
 
Info:

Owning a BIKE?
Budget is not even the question, by all means, buy the best bike your money can buy. You won't regret it!

Appropriate SIZE for you?
Size is probably the most important thing that one should consider in buying a Mountain Bike. An easier way is to put the bike in between your legs. Let the tip of the saddle touch the lower part of your back. Lift the front wheels until the top tube touches your crouch. The front wheel should be 7-13 cm. of the ground.

Always remember that performance and quality is of utmost importance in owning a bike.
Share this post
  • Share to Facebook
  • Share to Twitter
  • Share to Google+
  • Share to Stumble Upon
  • Share to Evernote
  • Share to Blogger
  • Share to Email
  • Share to Yahoo Messenger
  • More...

3 comments:

  1. Wheeewww after how many years of wanting to have my own original mountain bike with all expenses coming from my own pocket, now it's not a dream anymore but a dream come true... I'm so glad that GS-MORBA invited us on their weekly bicycling session... Thanxxx diay bai kay giuban pod koh nimoh... Till the next pedaling bai... hehehehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. soon if I have my own bike too.. hehe

    ReplyDelete